Monday, January 3, 2011

Mexican Bean Pie ~ my take!

I made this recipe tonight: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Bean-Pie/Detail.aspx

I did change a bit though.  I did not use canned beans.  I cooked the black beans and pintos myself (simmered with onions and carrots).  I did use Fantastic Foods refried beans mix for that part though.
I didn't add the corn as I don't really care for it.

For the seasonings part I used Healing Pixie's Taco Blend... I was generous with the amounts of it (cumin, chili powder, oregano, cinammon.. I believe that is what is in it) and added a little salt.

I did not use all the cheddar that the recipe called for.  I used maybe 3/4 cups for the entire thing. I would probably be happy without the cheddar to be honest to make this vegan.  I topped it with salsa after it was cooked.

Things I would changed: I would probably add salsa to the bean mixture maybe a cup. I would add onions and garlic. Saute those and add the peppers. Cook those for a few minutes before adding the beans.

Everyone at my home enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment