Tuesday, November 2, 2010

In the kitchen!

I was in the kitchen yesterday busily making vegetable broth and making pumpkin bread.

Making broth from scratch not only saves you money but is better for you.  I save vegetable trimmings (all but cabbage and lettuce type things) like onion peels, mushroom stems, and other vegetable peelings.  I also chop up celery (including leaves) and carrots.  Also I put herbs in such as basil, parsley and cilantro.
Next I fill up a large pot enough to cover everything up.  Cover, bring up to boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and keep covered for an hour.




After an hour, strain your broth.



I keep containers in the freezer on hand at all times. I make a lot of stew based things and use the broth for rice.

Also made pumpkin bread using whole wheat bread and all purpose flour.  Instead of using vegetable oil, I used coconut oil.  I don't use all the sugar called in the recipe either. And I used flax seed instead of eggs for this recipe, so it is vegan!
Before




and after
 I used this recipe: http://mybakingadventures.com/2009/10/18/healthy-pumpkin-bread/ with the mods indicted above.

Next blog post will be about making applesauce!  I have entire peck of apples and I love making homemade applesauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment